listening to "Switched On Pop" podcast

Switched On Pop 1

90s music cannon August 17,2020

I found this podcast very interesting and relatable. This session discussed how those who are a part of gen z are not familiar with many of the hits of the 90’s. The hosts and guest shared their feelings of how unfortunate it is that so many wonderful hits have seeped through the cracks of popular culture. I am a part of gen z, so it was interesting to apply myself to all that was talked about.

One of the things that was discussed in this episode was the reasons that there is a gap between the music that is recognized between different generations. Of these reasons is the parents of the people. Growing up I always felt like I was far less musically cultured than my peers. There were several factors that played into this, but a big one is that my parents were not huge in to the world of music either. My siblings and I didn’t really have much exposure to the music that may be deemed as classics to many. My roommate, on the other hand, knows older music more than any other gen z that I have met before. She can sing along to many of the popular songs that are not a part of our time. She listened to this kind of music growing up.

Another thing that was mentioned in this podcast was the top five songs that were highly recognized by those in gen z. I recognized every single one of these songs. As I listened to these songs, I realized that they were all songs that I have heard in movies or other media sources. I think that is where a lot of the top songs have been learned because the media has a way of helping us to remember other songs.

On a more random note, there were some songs that I knew that I wouldn’t have been able to recognize a couple of months ago, so thank you to this class.

Harding, Charlie, host. “90’s Music Canon.” Switched On Pop, Apple Podcasts, Aug. 17 2020.

Comments

Popular Posts