Listening to "Great Speckled Bird"

The song that I am writing about today is “Great Speckled Bird” performed by Roy Acuff and His Crazy Tennesseans. When first listening to this song, especially if your mind is occupied with other things, it may seem a bit peculiar. It took me a little while to understand the meaning of the song. For me, this was because my brain did not immediately recognize this as a gospel song. The lyrics are not complicated but when you are used to certain lyrics coming from a specific genre, you may be caught off guard when a certain song doesn’t fit that trend. The instrumental and vocal portions give it a strong, twangy western feel, and for me, I don’t usually connect country music with gospel music.

After listening to this song intently multiple times over, I grew a liking to it. I really appreciate the lyrics and the message that they share. The part of the song that I do not understand though, is the symbolism of the “great speckled bird”. In the lyrics, it says that the bird represents the church of God, but I do not understand why they chose a bird to symbolize the church. If you have any thoughts, I would love to hear them.

Have a great week,

Madz


Comments

  1. Thanks for the insight on this song! I loved the connecting that you made between the country, western. I didn't listen to this one but the way that you described it i can imagine it! i also dont ever really get jamming out to the gospel type music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally loved getting your view on the song! I would be like you and not connect that the song is a gospel song just because it sounds like a country/western song. I really like how you were able to paint a mental picture of the song and explain to me how the song sounds. I think the bird represents the church in the way how God makes a person feel free from sin but that's just my take on it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts