Listening to "How Deep is the Ocean?"

The song that I chose to listen to this week was “How Deep is the Ocean?” written by Irving Berlin and performed by Bing Crosby. This song doesn’t fit into the music that I typically listen to, but I really enjoyed it. 

As I listened to this song, I found it really captivating. If you hadn’t listened to this song previously, your initial impression would probably be that it is a sad song. That was my initial impression. The music that precedes the lyrics has a kind of gloomy feel to it. But, as soon as the singer comes in, the song seems to liven up a bit. Crosby picks up the pace a little and it boosts the mood of the song. But, as I continued to listen to the song, I noticed that the speed and liveliness fluctuate throughout the rest of the song. This helps keep you interested and invested in the song. Something else that I really appreciated was the control that Bing Crosby has with his voice. He carries out his notes very nicely and you can hear the use of vibrato in his voice. I really enjoyed listening to this song, and the more I listened to is, the more impressed I was.

When you take the time to expand your horizons and have an open mind, you may find that you like a lot more things than you realized! I know that I have!

Have a happy week, 

Madz

Comments

  1. I think that its so cool how the song can feel sad and dreary at the beginning but then it can turn into an upbeat performance. I feel like its an art imitating life thing thats going on with that. In life we have ups and downs good times and bad times and sometimes we don't want to do something but it works out in the end and thats what I feel like this song emanates.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts